Rockwall’s Yellowjacket soccer team went undefeated to the championship of the inaugural Rockwall Invitational Boys Soccer Tournament at Wilkerson-Sanders Stadium and Kyle Street Athletic Complex last weekend.

Rockwall made it two straight tournament championships (The Jackets also won the Denison Buffalo Wild Wings Invitational) for 2013 and remained undefeated for the season with a 7-0 record.

Heath’s Hawks picked up the Consolation Championship trophy at the tournament to give RISD a sweep of the top championship awards.

Rockwall advanced to the title game by winning Pool 1 with straight victories over Dallas Kimball, Dallas Conrad and Plano John Paul II.

The Jackets opened with a dominant 6-0 win over Kimball, led by six different players putting in goals. Micah Day, Clayton Rittershaus, Ryan Danahy, Colt Ramsey, Perry Reeder and Jordan Story posted one each to kick off the tournament.

They knocked off Conrad 1-0 on Friday after Day scored the only goal in the first half. They then closed out pool play on Saturday morning with a 4-2 victory versus John Paul II to set up the championship matchup against Sulphur Springs.

In the final pool game, Rockwall and John Paul II played a scoreless first half despite RHS outshooting JP 14-7 and dominating play.

Andy Rojas put the Jackets up 1-0 with a score in the 41st minute, but John Paul evened the match in the 44th minute off a corner kick.

John Paul II took the lead at 2-1 after a score in the 60th minute on one of its few trips downfield in the second half.

Rockwall then tied the score with 7:08 left in the game on a goal by Story from inside the box.

Matt Garrett gave RHS the lead at the 5:32 mark and Rojas nailed his second goal of the game with 3:51 remaining for the 4-2 win.

The Jackets then defeated unbeaten Pool 2 winner Sulphur Springs 1-0 for the championship after posting a goal by Rittershaus in the ninth minute and carrying the lead to the final buzzer.

According to head coach Troy Williams, “I thought the guys played well throughout the tournament. I was really proud of our defense, which only gave up two goals in four games.”

Rockwall-Heath advanced to the consolation title game on Saturday after finishing second to Sulphur Springs in Pool 2.

The Hawks fell to Sulphur Springs 3-1 in Thursday’s opener at Wilkerson-Sanders Stadium.

The Wildcats scored first in the second minute on their first fast break to take the early 1-0 lead.

Heath tied the score in the 23rd minute on a goal by Hayden Moore before Sulphur Springs made it 2-1 with 4:53 left in the first half.

The Wildcats closed out the scoring in the 48th minute for the 3-1 victory.

RHHS keeper Corey Gray made several key saves in the game, including stops in the 20th minute, 24th minute, 49th minute, 50th minute and 84th minute.

Heath bounced back with a 3-0 win over Samuell on Friday and dropped its final pool matchup against Newman Smith 3-1 on Saturday before advancing to the consolation title game on Saturday afternoon.

Against John Paul II, Hayden Moore ripped a goal in the 20th minute to give the Hawks the 1-0 early lead.

RHHS scored again two minutes later on a kick into the left corner of goal by Willie Flores for a lead the Hawks would never relinquish.

Flores just missed a second goal in the 32nd minute when his kick bounced off the crossbar.

John Paul II did score in the 64th minute, but that would be as close as the Cardinals would get.

Recommended for you